Wow! It is hard to believe our anniversary has arrived. It is monumental! Dora & Diego Homeschool Spanish is 10 years old. Who knew we would last this long? My husband thought it was one of those businesses I was trying. Not this time, I knew I would last. The joke is on him! Now the business has expanded to include Homeschool Inspired Spanish. Guess what? Homeschool Inspired Spanish has made it to its first anniversary, the year of the paper. This year at Homeschool Inspired Spanish we declare it to be The Year of the Paper for Subscribers. That means we will be adding more downloadable products for our subscribers.
Trying a Business means you are kicking the tires to see if it will be what the people want. You have an idea but you are not sure people want what you are offering. Here are some businesses I have tried. Let me know if you have tried any of them.
- Princess House Crystal – Sales Rep (Lasted 6 months)
- Melaleuca – Sales Rep (Lasted 6 months)
- Isagenix – Sales Rep (Lasted 6 months)
- Young Living Essential Oils – Sales Rep (Lasted 2 months)
- Shower Now Gift Baskets – Website Sales Rep (Lasted 1 year)
- Work At Home Parents – Website Sales Rep (Lasted 2 years
As you can see I went from MLM type companies to working on my own websites. Now do you see why my husband doubted me? Finally, Dora & Diego Homeschool Spanish plus Homeschool Inspired Spanish. As the Robertson’s from Duck Dynasty would say, “Winner, winner, chicken dinner!” Languages are something I love and I wanted to share them with the world. Here is the history behind my creation.
A Brief History of Dora & Diego Homeschool Spanish – A look at the last 10 years
- March 2007 Website launched
- April 2007 Debuted Level 1 1st through 5th grade Curriculum at Minnesota Association of Christian Home Educators Spring Conference
- June 2007 Launched Online Classes
- February 2008 Debuted Preschool & Kindergarten Curriculum at North Dakota Homeschool Association Winter Conference
- April 2008 Minnesota Association of Christian Home Educators Spring Conference
- April 2008 to April 2016 Tried a variety of marketing techniques that did not work very well. Continued to grow slow like a turtle.
- October 2009 go to Guadalupe, Chihuahua, Mexico on a mission trip.
- March 2014 go to Tijuana, Mexico to look for missions’ opportunities.
- April 2016 set up store on Teachers Pay Teachers website
- June 2016 visit the orphanage, Hogar Ciudad de Refugio, in Tijuana, Mexico
- September 2016 visit the orphanage, Hogar Ciudad de Refugio, in Tijuana, Mexico
- October 2016 Added Curriculum to Homeschool Inspired Spanish Download Club
- November 2016 Added Curriculum to Teachers Pay Teachers website
- December 2016 take Christmas presents to the orphanage, Hogar Ciudad de Refugio in Tijuana, Mexico
A brief history of Homeschool Inspired Spanish – One Year and counting
- September 2016 Post my first posts announcing the new download club
- October 2016 Launch Download Club Website
- January 2017 Launched Homeschool Inspired Spanish blog
- March 2017 Held our first ever contest – Tiffany Carpenter was our winner!
- May 2017 joined the Build Your Bundle Sale
- May 2017 received our first review at Teachers Pay Teachers
- August 2017 received our first review at our Educents store.
- August 2018 released Dora & Diego Homeschool Spanish Level 2 for 1st through 6th grade Lessons 1 to 10.
Changes in Spanish being taught over the years
Many changes in the homeschool Spanish market have made businesses sit up and take notice. For instance, we were the first to offer online homeschool Spanish classes. Unfortunately, the homeschool Spanish market was not ready for online classes in 2007. Today there are thousands of homeschool families taking advantage of online Spanish classes. We knew we were ahead of our game.
Rosetta Stone was the number one Spanish curriculum bought by homeschool families. Guess what? Affordable products have put Rosetta’s marketing strategy on the ropes.
Homeschool families are starting foreign languages as early as preschool. They don’t want their kids to just fill a graduation requirement they truly want their children to have a full worldview or Biblical worldview. Reaching the lost for Christ is still in the forefront of Christian homes and learning Spanish from a Biblical worldview which can only be done through Dora & Diego Homeschool Spanish and Homeschool Inspired Spanish.
Homeschool families came into the digital revolution with fear and trembling. They have experienced enormous success as shown by the huge Build Your Bundle sale. Almost all the Build Your Bundle products are in digital format. This makes for easier storage, accessibility, and cost savings for each family. At Dora & Diego Homeschool Spanish families can buy either a cd copy or a hard copy of all lessons. At Homeschool Inspired Spanish everything is digital including pronunciation files.
Education has changed over the years going from needing more at the kindergarten level to changing programs every year to try and meet most of the students’ needs. Homeschooling families still outshine traditional teaching methods. All children being homeschooled have their different learning styles. Gaming strategies are now in place. A lot of parents are afraid their children are not socializing enough with this method but the opposite is true. Learning games give children goals to reach. The games drive the students to completion and higher achievement. Our world has become so centered around electronics that it is imperative for parents to include lessons this way. Going along with technology, it’s easier for students to be able to do their research. No more stuffy, smelly libraries for them. Technology is at their fingertips. Teachers that are old school can teach their students how to use a library. Some homeschool families have libraries set up in their own homes or co-ops for students to use.
It’s sad to say parents are becoming less and less involved in traditional education. The parents do not have time for parent-teacher meetings. They do not have time to be involved in the Parent Teacher Association. Nor do they have time to go to their kids’ extra-curricular activities. Homeschool parents on the other hand are all over their kids. Their participation is crucial to the success of the homeschooled child. Bringing the family unit together and making it stronger.
Changes in Dora & Diego Homeschool Spanish plus Homeschool Inspired Spanish
The biggest change seen by our company is the growth of you, our customers. You are sharing your experience with our program. The next change was starting the download club making curriculum more accessible. Everything during the last year was to build our awareness in the public eye through social media and joining homeschool groups throughout the country and even the world. Added our lessons to more stores like Teachers Pay Teachers, Educents and Ebay.
2018 is going to be The Year of the Paper for our Subscribers. We will be adding more bang for the buck for our website subscribers by including more worksheets that cover more subjects along with Spanish, and turning lessons into videos. New stores will be added like Currclick and Amazon. Affiliates will make shopping at our site easier to find curriculum enhancements, and will be added over the next year.
Within the next five years online classes will start up again and launching our very first gaming app. Yes, you heard it right. A gaming app to learn Spanish. Plus, offering mission trips to Spanish speaking countries.
Thank you to Our Customers
We have such awesome customers. You have supported us through our very slow growth sticking by us. You gave us suggestions and we listened. You prayed for us when we needed it professionally as well as personally. You are our encouragers and champions. Thank you SOOO much. Those that have stuck with us are awesome people like Daneille Snowden, Tiffany Carpenter, Jules Rivera, Starla Hill Jimenez, Greta Wagner, plus many more. You all rock!
Have you ever heard of a 10 + 1 Sale? Well now you have. Introducing the 10 + 1 Sale. (Another first from Homeschool Inspired Spanish) The 10 +1 sale is to commemorate the 10 years of Dora & Diego Homeschool Spanish. Plus 1 for the first year of Homeschool Inspired Spanish. All memberships and products are going to be 11% off, 10% + 1% on both websites. Makes sense, doesn’t it?
We just wanted you to know that we truly enjoy working with you and feel honored to be your chosen Homeschool Spanish provider.
Your business is much appreciated, and we will do our very best to continue to meet your Spanish learning needs.
Your continued patronage and suggestions are a vital part of our growth. And for that, we are most grateful.
Thanks again! We look forward to serving you for many years to come.
At your service,
Michelle Rothwell, Owner
Dora & Diego Homeschool Spanish
Plus Homeschool Inspired Spanish